Sunday, March 23, 2014

Cabin building

Most of this week has been spent building the apprentice cabin: insulating, putting up drywall, laying flooring, and screwing siding. It should be livable shortly. It's a two floor 14' x 14' cabin with big windows on the southern side. It'll eventually be solar powered and we'll be cooking on woodstove, solar oven, rocket stove, or fire. Someone suggested naming it 'The Condo', but we added an 'r' to make it 'The Condor'.

We've also been planting some. There are six rows of low tunnels (basically short greenhouses) which we planted with kale, carrots, beats, collards, lettuce, and onions. To prep the fields plenty of manure was shoveled. 

This week we started making bread; including sourdough. All the other apprentices have tons of cooking experience so there's much to learn.

It's a big change in lifestyle, but less strenuous than I expected. Work doesn't start till 9 and we get 2 days off. The shower hasn't been working for a while, so I've only managed two so far. I've been eating better than I ever have (sorry mom). I found a small waterfall and a pond on the property (hello summer). There's a really nifty market in Paoli that I like better than Whole Foods or Trader Joes.

It hasn't all been pristine farm life. Excretion takes place in an outhouse a hundred meters from where I sleep; making for some cold nighttime walks. Most of the time I'm cold, dirty, and physically exhausted. I guess this all comes with the change in pace. It's starting to alleviate through adjustment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment