Monday, January 6, 2014

Leaving


Of course the day I depart is the coldest day of the year. My bus exits the Louisville station at 6:35 tonight. Forty hours, 2,000 miles, seventy degrees later I will be in Tucson. My mom will cry.

My backpack is packed. I'm bringing a tent, sleeping bag, a few T-shirts, a couple long-sleeved tees, shorts, a pair of pants, toiletries, poncho, socks, boots, ipod touch, notebook, pens, hat, gloves, water bottle, running tights, copper kettle, glasses, sandals, and a bag of apples.

I have no idea what I will do when I get there or how to do it. I don't know what I want to do. There's no list of options that I could conjure up. There's nothing I could say now that wouldn't change when I get there. I don't know how or where or when I will discover what to do or why to do it. All I do know is I don't want to go to school or live at home. May be I'm naive or downright foolish, but it seems the wisest thing I can do right now.

I'm scared out of my wits. There's no telling what will be. There's a constant feeling of my stomach moving up to live in my throat. I have to poop a lot too. Very similar to pre-race jitters.

Here's a magical article I read earlier this week.





3 comments:

  1. Hey Gannon, this is Daniel. I'm glad to see you're finally on your way! I'll follow your travels. I was nervous as heck when I left too, but it gets easier as you go. And I'm pretty sure you'll find what you need to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Gannon, this is Jimmy from Ball Hall, glad to see you started your adventure.
    PS: i am surprised you bring apple instead of banana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ended up bringing bananas as well. Ha!

    ReplyDelete